•Official Name: Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA).
•King and Prime Minister: King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques.
•Government System: The system of government is determined by Articles (7) and (8) of the
Basic Law of Governance, which stipulate:
- Article (7) Governance in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia derives its authority from the Holy Q ur’an and the Sunna of the Prophet (PBUH), which are the ultimate sources of reference for this law and the other laws of the State.
- Article (8) Governance in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is based on justice, Shura (consultation)
and equality according to Islamic Sharia.
•Geography: KSA is located in the far South-West of Asia. It shares borders with the Red Sea on
the West, the Arabian Gulf, Qatar and United Arab Emirates on the East, Kuwait, Iraq
•Area: Two million sq km (Approx.)
•Climate: Desert Climate (Hot during Summer, cold during Winter)
•Official Language: Arabic. English is often used in business communications.
•Calendar: Hijri (both Solar and Lunar). Gregorian calendar is often used in business communications.
•Administrative Divisions: KSA has 13 administrative regions, each includes a number of provinces categorized into A and B. Category (A) includes 43 provinces, while Category (B) includes 61 provinces.
•Main Cities: Riyadh, Jeddah, Dammam, Makkah, Madinah, and Taif.
-Government Sector: 7.30 AM – 14.30 PM
Ramadan Hours: 10.00 AM – 15.00 PM
-Banks: 9.30 AM – 16.30 PM
Ramadan Hours: 10.00 AM – 16.00 PM
-Private Sector: Business hours vary among enterprises.
Ramadan Hours: Most private sector enterprises are open during the evening.
•Official Holidays: Apart from weekend (Friday-Saturday) there are:
- Eid Al Fitr Holiday 25 Ramadan – 4 Shawwal
- Eid Al Adha Holiday 5 – 14 Thul Hijjah
- National Day First of Libra (September 23)
Government ministries and other public agencies do not work during the aforementioned holidays. Business hours vary among private sector enterprises.
•Time Zone: GMT+3
•Currency: Saudi Arabian Riyal (SAR) SAR 1 = 100 Halalah.
USD 1 = SAR 3.75
•Units: Metric System (Measurements), Kilogram (Weights)
•Electricity: 110v/220v - 330v for industry.
Country Calling Code: +966
Regional Codes: Riyadh (011), Jeddah (012), Dammam (013)
•Internet TLD: .sa
•Price of Public Services:
- Industrial: Based on monthly consumption categories: 18 (Halalah/kWh)
- Healthcare: Based on monthly consumption categories: 18 (Halalah/kWh)
- Agricultural: Based on monthly consumption categories: 10-16 (Halalah/kWh)
- Commercial: Based on monthly consumption categories: 16-30 (Halalah/kWh)
- Residential: Based on monthly consumption categories: 5-30 (Halalah/kWh)
- (Also available 110v/220v – 330v for industry)
Water: Based on monthly consumption categories: 10 Halalah – SAR 6 (cbm)
- Gasoline (Octane 91): 0.75 SAR/Liter
- Gasoline (Octane 95): 0.90 SAR/Liter
- Diesel: 0.45 SAR/Liter
- Kerosene: 96.4 SAR/Barrel
- Gas: 4.7 SAR/MMBTU